Monday, October 25, 2010

10/22/10-10/24/10: Mussoorie #2

Friday I became a student at the Woodstock school for the day. I was assigned to 'shadow' one of the students there. Her name is Atilla, and we became friends very quickly.

I look like I'm five.
 She has six classes that I got to spectate: Algebra 2, Biology, Choir, Global Debate ,English, and Piano. She even taught me a song on the piano and convinced me to sing with her in choir. I really, really enjoyed hanging out with her. Everyone there was really friendly and at the end of the day I was friends with many of the kids there, they even invited me to a Sadie Hawkins dance they were having later that night. So, after school and after decorating Parker Hall, a bunch of girls took me to their dorm and completely dressed me up: a nice dress, makeup, heels, everything.

The older girls dorm is about half a mile away from the school, and all uphill. We had to walk to the dance in the freezing, pouring rain up a hill, in heels...and that was my first time ever in heels. I was praying I wouldn't break my ankles off, and surprisingly I didn't. :) Because of the rain, after having taken two plus hours to get ready, we were all soaked by the time we arrived. Anyways, I now definitely have some very fun memories from Woodstock. After the dance, I went back to the girls dorm and stayed the night with Atilla and some other girls I had met. That was definitely a very fun night. :)

Saturday I had to get up early and leave the dorm with some girls to go to Sports Day, which is a gathering and competition of Woodstock's and three other school's student athletes.


Some friends I made at the school.


Around lunch I met up with Grandpa and the other alumni at the games and we left to go to the bazaar to do a little shopping. I had been looking for a place to get a henna tattoo since we had arrived in India, and while walking along we came upon a little stand beside the road where you could get them.

Freshly painted on henna.

After it has dried and fallen off, this is what remains.

The tattoo can last up to two months, and simply slowly fade away after wards.

Later that day we were invited to have dinner at the principal of Woodstock's house with the alumni, the school staff members, and the famous Indian actor Tom Alter.

Sunday we went to a nice church service in the morning then went to lunch with Grandpa's friends. Around two we had to say our goodbyes and take a taxi back down to Dehra Dun to catch a train that would take us back to New Delhi. The train ran five hours late, and we did not get to out hotel in Delhi until about three in the morning.

-Jessica

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    I am an alumna who was unable to go on this trip. Thanks so much for allowing your Grandpa to share this blog with us, his classmates. I have really enjoyed the whole saga, but especially the part about Woodstock. You have a lovely, open-minded blog style which I appreciate.
    Liz Foster

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,
    Thank you very much for reading my writing, it's an honor that a graduate from Woodstock would enjoy my writing about one day at the school.
    Jessica Shultz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, I look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing more about your wonderful trip, this coming Friday around Thanksgiving Dinner.

    I am impressed and inspired by how you did this blog with great pictures! Thanks for taking the time though there must have been times you were exhausted.

    Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete